A festive dish made in Odisha on Prathamastami made by steaming batter in turmeric leaves.
- 200 grams urad dal, soaked overnight
- 200 grams rice, soaked overnight
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 100 grams Jaggery
- 1/2 cup Chhena / panner
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- salt to taste
- Turmeric leaves
- Grind urad dal and rice to batter. Add salt and mix. Allow to ferment for atleast 3 hrs.
- In a pan, heat jaggery till it become syrup. Add grated coconut and chhena. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add cardamom powder.
- Take washed turmeric leaf. Fold the leaf in middle without breaking.
- Place batter and spread horizontally.
- Fold and place in steamer or traditional athara handi. Steam for 15-20 minutes till pithas are properly steamed.