Ashgourd cooked in coconut and yogurt
- 1 cup Elavan (Ash gourd) cut into big cubes
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 3 Green Chilies
- 1 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 1/2 cups Thick Curd (sour)
- Curry leaves
- Heat chopped ashgourd along with 1.5 cup of water.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and boil until the ashgourd pieces are cooked.
- Grind coconut with green chillies into a paste. Use a little of the curd for grinding instead of water.
- Add the ground paste to the cooked ashgourd. Mix well.
- Now whisk the sour curd without any lumps and add to the coconut ashgourd mixture.
- Simmer until the kootan froths up. Do not boil after adding curd. Remove from heat.
- Temper with Mustard, Red Chillies and Methi seeds. Garnish with curry leaves.