Chora Nu Shaak is an authentic Gujarati curry, prepared with black beans, spices, and tamarind. This sweet, spicy and tangy dish is a delicious accompaniment to rice or roti.
- 1 cup black eye beans, washed and soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- 2 Tamarind, a small piece
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 red chili
- 1 teaspoon asafetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook beans for 2-3 whistles, adding enough water and salt.
- Crackle mustard seeds in a pan and add cumin seeds, asafetida, red chili, turmeric powder, cooked beans and water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, jaggery and tamarind and cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Serve Chora Nu Shaak hot with Rice or chapatti.