Chok wangun is a simple and authentic tangy eggplant dish from the Kashmir valley. It can be made either dry or with a little gravy.
- 1 kilogram Long brinjals/ eggplants (baingan), slit lengthwise
- 2 cups Mustard oil
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger powder (saunth)
- 1 teaspoon Fennel powder (saunf)
- 2 teaspoons Mango powder (amchur)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 Clove
- Salt to taste
- Deep fry brinjals till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Heat a tbsp of mustard oil in another pan. Fry cloves and asafoetida.
- Add 2 tbsp water and sunth, saunf and red chilli powder.
- Add fried brinjals and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Adjust taste with salt and mango powder. Cover and simmer for 3-4 min.
- Serve spicy chok wangun with hot rice.