No Chettiar’s function will be complete without serving the traditional Vellai paniyaram. It is popularly served along with Milagai chutney (tomato, tamarind chutney). Vellai paniyaram is fried bread made from rice and dal.
- 1 cup raw rice/ pacharisi
- 1/4 cup urad dal/ ulundham paruppu
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 Sugar
- Salt – to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Grind into wattery batter (thicker than dosa batter and thinner than idli batter). Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Add milk and sugar. Mix well.
- Heat oil in pan. Once hot, pour spoonful of batter. Fry on both sides
- Strain and serve vellai paniyaram along with milagai chutney.