Cherupayar curry is a traditional Kerala recipe made with green gram, coconut and a few spices. This delicious curry with puttu (steamed rice flour) is a perfect combination. It can also be served with rice or chapatis.
- 1 cup cherupayar or green gram
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1/3 cup shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut grated (for paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (for paste)
- 2 green chillies (for paste)
- 3 dry red chillies (for temper)
- few curry leaves (for temper)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (for temper)
- 1 tablespoon oil (for temper)
- Cook green gram in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt for one or two whistles.
- Grind coconut, cumin seeds, and green chilli to a smooth paste.
- In hot oil, splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chillies, shallots and garlic.
- Add green gram, ground paste and a cup water, and then bring to a boil.
- Serve cherupayar curry with steamed rice flour (Puttu).