Festival food made from rice cooked with coconut milk and aromatic turmeric leaves.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1/2 cups grated coconut, fresh
- 2 fresh green turmeric leaves
- To extract milk from coconut, blend grated coconut with 1.5 cups of water. Strain the mixture to collect coconut milk. Add more water to the strained mixture and blend again. The next batch of coconut milk is little diluted and kept seperately.
- Pressure cook or steam cook rice separately with excess water. Use sticky variety of rice.
- Add cooked rice, diluted coconut milk into a cooking vessel and bring it to boil on a medium flame.
- Wash the turmeric leaves well. Roll whole leaves and create knots out of it. Add these knots while cooking kheeri.
- Stir rice frequently to avoid sticking to vessel.
- Once the kheeri comes to a boil and add in the thick, concentrated coconut milk extracted first and mix well.
- Simmer till the milk blends well with rice.
- Kheeri should be a little watery and thicken with time.
- Serve with mango pickle or cucumber chutney.