Champakali is a savory Maharashtrian dish that resembles the shape of the champa flower bud. A sweet version of the dish can also be prepared, which is a popular dessert.
- 1 cup Maida / All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon kalunji / onion seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- Salt to taste
- Combine flour, onion seeds, salt, black pepper powder, hot oil and water in a bowl and knead a firm dough. Cover and keep aside for an hour.
- Roll small portions of the dough into small discs.
- Make parallel cuts in this disc, keeping the ends intact.
- Roll the disc and twist at both ends to form the shape of a flower bud.
- Deep fry the flower buds on low heat until golden-brown.
- Store Champakali in an air tight container