Chakka varatti is a delicious jam or preserve prepared with ripe jackfruit, ghee and jaggery. It is a traditional Kerala recipe that is often made during the jackfruit season.
- 4 cups Ripe jackfruit pulps, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Jaggery
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Dry ginger/ Chukku, powdered
- 1 cup Water
- Pressure cook jackfruit pulp with 1/2 cup water for about 3 to 4 whistles and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Melt jaggery in 1/2 cup water and strain the jaggery liquid.
- Mix the jackfruit pulp and jaggery and cook on low flame till mixture thickens.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee every 30 minutes. Continue cooking until the mixture becomes dark brown in colour.
- Keep chakka varatti in a dry airtight container.