Chakka appam or steamed jackfruit cake is a popular Kerala snack prepared when jackfruits are in season.
- Category: Malayali Recipes
- 8 pieces Jack fruit
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 3/4 cup Roasted rice flour
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 5 pods Cardamom, powdered
- Banana leaf for steaming
- Ghee for greasing
- Boil jackfruit in 2 cups of water until it softens and grind to a puree.
- Make jaggery syrup by melting it in boiling water.
- Add jackfruit puree and boil till the mixture becomes creamy.
- Add rice flour, coconut and cardamom powder. Mix well until it forms a soft dough.
- Grease banana leaf and place a portion of the dough on it.
- Flatten the dough with your hands and fold the leaf.
- Steam cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve Chakka appam warm.