Chainsoo is black gram dal preparation from hilly Uttarakhand region, particularly in cold winter season. Black gram dal is rich in protein but equally difficult to digest. Roasting helps digestability of this lentil.
- 1 cup Black Gram dal / Sabud Kali Urad dal
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chillies powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander seed powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 4 whole Red chillies
- 4 Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Dry roast urad dal in a pan for 3-5 minutes. Coarsely grind the dal.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry garlic till light brow. Add cumin seeds, red chillies,black pepper and hing.
- Add dal powder and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add powder spices - turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, red chillies powder.
- Add water and salt. Bring to boil.
- Cover and cook till dal is soft. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala over chainsoo. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Chainsoo dal hot along with steamed rice and ghee.