Black soyabean curry from hills of Uttarakhand. Unlike regular dal, churdkani involves stir frying of dal.
- 1 cup Black Bhatt dal / black soyabean, soaked in water overnight and dried
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed powder
- Rice paste or plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds.
- Heat oil and splutter jeera.
- Add onions and bhatt. Fry till Bhatt dal crackle.
- Add 1-2 tsp of plain flour and fry again.
- Add spice powders and saute.
- Add about 4 cups of water and bring to boil. Now cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes till bhatt is soft and curry is thick.
- Adjust taste with salt .
- Serve bhatt ki churkaani along with hot rice.