Popular fast food from Mumbai
- 4 cups Potatoes, large, boiled and mashed roughly
- 1/3 cup Chickpea flour (Besan)
- 2 teaspoons Rice flour
- Salt – to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- 3 Green chilies, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 6 Curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- Mix turmeric powder, green chillies, red chilli powder, ginger paste, salt and lemon juice with mashed potatoes.
- Temper potato mixture with hot oil along with mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. Saute mixture for 5 minutes.
- Make flowing batter from besan, turmeric powder, salt, baking soda and water.
- Dip small balls of potato mixture in batter and deep fry till golden brown on all sides.
- Serve hot batata vada with pav/bread and chutney.