Spiced flatbread made from millet flour
Bajra is staple diet in arid regions of Gujarat and Rajasthan. When today people have realized problems associated with gluten and have been moving towards gluten free diet, bajra amongst millet is an excellent choice. While this recipe is not gluten free as it uses wheat flour so that dough can be rolled into flat bread / theplas, consuming bajra thepla is excellent healthy breakfast alternative.
- 1 cup bajra flour
- 1 tablespoon dried methi leaves powder / kasuri methi powder
- 1 teaspoon black peper, freshly ground
- 1 pinch asafoetida / hing
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 3 chillies
- 1 ginger, half inch long
- 4 -5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- Ghee for cooking
- Grind garlic, ginger and garlic to coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Mix bajra flour, wheat flour, asafoetida, turmeric powder, pepper powder, dried methi powder and salt along with little water. Knead into firm dough.
- Take lemon sided piece of dough. Roll into flat roti shape. Bake on tawa / skillet. Grease with ghee while cooking.
- Serve bajra na thepla hot along with yogurt or pickle.