Hyderabadi sytled side dish with eggplant
- Prep Time: 1m
- 12 Brinjal - small sized, slit with two perpendicular cuts and stem intact
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Peanuts, dry roasted
- 3 tablespoons Coconut, dry roasted
- 1 Onion - large, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds (white ), dry roasted
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 pinch Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin/Jeera powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder or as required
- 2 Curry leaves, few
- 1 cup Tamarind juice
- Salt as required
- Grind coconut, peanuts and sesame seeds with little water into paste and keep aside.
- Shallow fry brinjals in oil till soft and keep aside.
- In same oil, splutter mustard, cumin, fenugreek, curry leaves. Add onion, ginger garlic paste and saute.
- Add powder spices and cook for some time. Add masala paste and roast for few minutes.
- Place brinjals and add tamarind water. Simmer till everything blends and has gravy consistency.
- Serve Bagara Baingan hot along with roti or rice