Spiced mashed pumpkin recipe from Himachal
- 8 cups chopped pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 2 -3 whole chili
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon panch phorun ( combination of 5 whole spices - available at any Indian store)
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 30 grams black mustard seeds (rai)
- Grind mustard seeds in little water and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil. Add the panch phorun and asofetida.
- Add 2-3 whole chili and fry.
- Add the chopped pumpkin and mix well.
- Cook for about 15 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Add turmeric and salt to taste.
- Cook for a few minutes and then add the dry mango powder.
- Mash the pumpkin and take off the heat. Let the pumpkin dish cool.
- Add the ground mustard mixture and mix well.
- Serve warmed.