Athalakkai(Momordica cymbalaria) is a wild vegetable unique to Tamil Nadu and belongs to family of bitter gourd. It is used to make vegetable dishes and pickles in this region. Athalakkai poriyal is atthalakkai stir fried with spices.
It is used in the local folk medicine as an abortifacient and for the treatment of diabetes.
- Category: Tamil Recipes
- 200 grams Athalakai
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Curry leaves few
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Stir fry Athalakkai. Add spices and ajust taste with salt.
- Add little water if required. Cook till athalakkai looks cooked.
- Serve athalakkai poriyal as side dish.