Athalakkai(Momordica cymbalaria) is a wild vegetable from bitter gourd family. This recipe involves cooking it with spicy gravy.
- 1 cup Athalakkai
- 1 cup Shallots, peeled
- 4 -5 Garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 pinch hing
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander seed powder
- 1 Tamarind - lemon size, soaked in water
- 1/2 Coconut, chopped
- Blend cocount and tomato to paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, hing, curry leaves.
- Fry shallots and garlic, till onions are brown.
- Add and roast coconut paste along with other spices.
- Adjust taste with sugar and tamarind. Add water as per consistency required. Continue cooking till recipe thickens to desired consistency.
- Serve Athalakkai kuzhambu along with steam rice.