Askali is a specialty from Himachal Pradesh. A batter made of rice flour, semolina flour, chickpea paste and spices are steam cooked. Traditionally the batter is cooked on a stone specifically made for cooking askali.
- 3 tablespoons gm Rice flour
- 3 tablespoons Flour (whole meal or suji)
- 100 grams Chana dal, soaked overnight, ground to paste
- 3 Green chillies, chopped fine
- 1 inch piece Ginger, chopped finely
- A sprig of green coriander, chopped fine
- A large pinch of garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Prepare a thick batter by combining the two flours with water. Keep aside for about half an hour.
- Add chopped ginger, chillies, coriander, salt and garam masala. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into idli maker, make a small hollow in the centre and add slightly diluted chana daal paste.
- Place the idli maker in the pressure cooker without water and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Serve savory askali with chutney.