Stir fried snake gourd cooked with lentils and coconut
- 3 cups snake gourd , chopped into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons Bengal gram / chana dal, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup coconut freshly grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 chillies dried red
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil for tempering
- 1 1/2 teaspoons urad dal for tempering
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds for temperting
- 1 red chilli dried for tempering
- Pressure cook snake gourd, lentils along with turmeric powder and salt till lentils are cooked yet firm.
- Grind coconut, cumin seeds and red chillies to thick paste. Keep aside.
- Heat cooked vegetables with little water. Bring to boil.
- Add the coconut paste and curry leaves, and allow to the mixture to cook for 2-3 minutes. Mix well till vegetables are coated.
- Temper the vegetable with hot oil, fried mustard seeds, urad dal and red chilli.
- Serve Podavalangai Kootu with rice and sambhar.