- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Green chilies ,sliced
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Oil - as required
- Salt- to taste
- 4 Tomato, chopped
- 2 shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- Blend coconut, shallots and cumin seeds along with little water to smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chillies and onion. Saute till onions are little brown.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add about 1.5 cup water, cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut paste. Adjust consistency with water and taste with salt.
- Bring to boil. Serve nandan thakkali hot with rice.