Spicy yet sweet rice preparation from Bengal
- 2 cups rice (small fragrant variety)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cardamom
- 2 cinnamon stick, inch long
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk with saffron strands soaked
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 cup cashews and raisins
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ghee
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Roast cashews and rasins. Remove and keep aside.
- In same pan, splutter cumin seeds and spices.
- Now drain water from rice and add the rice.
- Add turmeric powder, saffron milk, salt, sugar, cashews and raisins. Heat on medium flame till rice become transparent.
- Now add water, twice as much of rice, stir, close lid and cook till rice is done.