Black gram cooked with traditional assamese khar
- 1 1/2 cups khar water (vineager prepared from sun dried banana peels)
- 250 grams black lentils, soaked in water overnight
- 1/2 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 6 green chillis
- 6 pods of garlic
- 2 teaspoons mustard oil
- Few Coriander leaves
- Paach phoran (5 spices)
- Salt to taste
- Wash lentils. Remove skin if required.
- Grind green chillis, garlic pods and corinader leaves to paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil, splutter paanch phoran and roast garlic paste.
- Roast and fry onions till cooked.
- Add lentils and fry for some time. Add Khar.
- Adjust taste with salt and chillies.
- Pressure cook till lentils are soft.
- Pour a teaspoon of mustard oil to enhance taste.
- Serve Mati Mahor khar hot.