Spicy black eyed peas curry
- 1 cup Black eyed peas / Roongi
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Red chilli powder – [Optional]
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric powder – [Optional]
- Rock salt – As per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pinch Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon Green chillies, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup Onions, chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Dry roast black eyed peas till specks of brown appear, on slow, even flame, about 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook, covering with enough water, under high pressure for three whistles. Allow to cool, remove and drain liquid. Set roongi aside.
- Heat oil. Crackle cumin seeds. Add onions and saute till brown. Add tomatoes, ginger and green chillies. Saute for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add garam masala, salt, turmeric and chilli powders. Mix. Cover and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked roongi, and mix well. Add water if required. Adjust taste.
- Serve with roti or steamed rice.