Chutney made from yellow pumpkin. It is often served as side dish with idli, dosa or rice.
- 1 cup yellow pumpkin/ mangal poosai, peeled, deseeded and grated
- 1 tablespoon Bengal Gram Dal / Kadalai paruppu
- Tamarind, lemon sized ball
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 2 Red Chilli
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds, for temper
- 1/4 teaspoon Urad Dal, for temper
- 1/2 teaspoon Oil, for temper
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves, for temper
- Heat oil. Roast Bengal gram and red chillies.
- Add grated pumpkin and tamarind and fry till pumpkin is translucent.
- Add 1/4 cup water. Mix well. Cook covered till mixture is dry.
- Allow to cool. Remove tamarind pieces. Grind along with grated coconut and other ingredients into fine paste.
- Temper the chutney with hot oil, fried mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Serve mangal poosai pachadi with steaming hot idli /dosa / rice