Horsegram cooked along with local spices and vegetables
- 2/3 cup kolotho/horse gram (lightly roasted & broken)
- 1/4 cup baigana / eggplant (cubed)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin (cubed)
- 1/4 cup green papaya (cubed)
- 1/4 cup saru/taro (cut into roundels)
- 2 big ripe tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 small potato (cubed)
- 1 drumstick ( cut into 2 inch pieces )
- 3 teaspoons rice bran oil
- 1/3 turmeric
- 5 curry leaves
- 4 dry red chilis
- 4 garlic flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pancha phutana / panch phoran (mix of fenugreek, cumin, mustard, nigella & fennel seeds)
- salt to taste
- Pressure cook horsegram along with vegetables (except tomato) with 2 cups water, salt and turmeric.
- Heat oil. Add chopped tomatoes, sprinkle a little salt and cook till mushy. Add cooked lentils. Continue cooking with some water to adjust consistency.
- Temper the dal with hot oil, fried pancha phutana, broken red chilis and curry leaves.
- Serve Kolotho Dalma hot with roti or rice.