Roasted brinjal curry made in south indian style
- 2 1/2 cups Brinjal (long green variety), diced and de-stalked
- 3 Brinjal, medium
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato chopped
- 3 green chillies, slit
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 cup thin tamarind extract
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 pinch Hing
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped for garnish
- Roast brinjal over fire till inside is tender and outer skin is charred.
- Peel off charred skin. Cut finely and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Add onions. Saute till transparent.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt needed and saute until tomatoes are slightly cooked.
- Add tamarind water. Cook covered on medium heat till raw flavour of tamarind is gone.
- Add chopped brinjal. Mix and cook on low heat for 5 minutes till brinjal is cooked.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve kathirikkai gothsu hot with upma, chapatti or ven pongal.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve Kathirikkai Gothsu with idly, dosa or steamed rice