Mild kidney beans from Kashmir region – badarwahi rajma or kashmiri rajma – prepared in Kashmiri way.
- 250 grams rajma / kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons red chilly powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 onions medium size, paste
- 2 tomatoes, paste
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook soaked rajma with enough water till they are cracked.
- Grind onions and tomatoes. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee. Splutter cumin seeds and bay leaves. Roast onion paste, ginger garlic paste till oil separates
- Add boiled rajma. Adjust taste with salt.
- Add water. Simmer for 15 minutes till rajma bean soaks up gravy and aroma.
- Add butter. Serve Kashmiri rajma with hot rice