South Indian tomato soup particularly served during marriages
- 3 Tomato
- 1 Tamarind, small gooseberry size, soaked in warm water
- 3 tablespoons Tur dal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- Curry leaves - few
- 1 pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- Pressure cook half dal. Mash and keep aside.
- Heat ghee. Splutter coriander seeds, cumin seeds, remaining dal, pepper and red chillies till dal is light brown. Grind to fine powder. Keep aside.
- Grind tamarind juice, chopped tomatoes, curry leaves, hing and salt to
- Grind 2 tomatoes to puree. Boil along with tamarind juice, one chopped tomato, curry leaves, hing and dal. Mix well. Add 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil. Add ground powder and mix well. Heat till rasam froths .
- Temper with hot ghee, fried mustard seeds. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve Kalyana Rasam hot with rice.