Porridge made from broken rice and seasoned with cumin, ginger and coconut. It is also known as kani phan.
- 1/2 cup broken rice grains (kani)
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 red chilli, dried
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tabelspoon freshly grated coconut
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add urad dal, slit green chillies and fry them until urad dal turns brown.
- Then add chopped ginger, red chilli broken into small pieces, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add washed rice grains, salt, grated coconut. Add water - thrice the amount of rice.
- Mix well and cook closed on a low flame until done.
- Serve hot with generous amount of coconut oil on top.