Spiced curry made from yellow lentils
- 1 cup toor dal
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind, soaked in warm water, pulp extracted
- 1 small lemon sized jaggery, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pickle masala, mixed with 1 tsp oil and 2 tbsp of water
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 cinnamon stick, inch long piece
- 4 cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 8 broken red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds / methi
- 1 pinch asafoetida / hing
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons kala masala
- 1 piece ginger, inch long grated
- Pressure cook washed tur dal along with 3-4 cups of water till soft.
- Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, jeera, fenugreek seeds, hing, red chillies, green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, curry leaves and ginger. Saute for around a minute.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder. Saute for few seconds and pour pickle masala.
- Add a cup of water and mix kala masala, jaggery and tamarind pulp. Stir.
- Add boiled toor dal. Adjust taste with salt and consistency with water. Bring to boil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve amti hot with rice or chapatti.