Spiced whole chickpea side dish
- 250 grams chana / chickpea, washed and soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 3 onions, grated
- ginger, half inch piece, ground
- 8 cloves garlic, ground
- 3 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamoms
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- Coriander for the garnish
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook soaked chana along with water, cardamoms and cinnamon till chana is tender. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Fry bay leaves, onions and green chillies till onion is tender. Add powder spices.
- Add tomatoes and cook till mushy. Add boiled chana and mix well.
- Pour water and cook covered till chana is cooked well.
- Garnish coriander leaves and serve Chana Yaoyaba along with rice.
- Garnish and serve hot with roti or rice.