Whole red gram cooked in hot spicy kolhapuri style. Hot Akkha masoor and kaju curry are popular road side recipes in and around Kolhapur. The recipe and tastes may vary, but recipe is simple and made with commonly available ingredients.
- 1/2 cup akkha (whole) masoor dal / red lentil, water soaked for 1 hr
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onion, medium finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 ginger, inch long
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro / coriander leaves, chopped fine
- Salt as required
- Make coarse paste of sesame seeds, coconut, onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies with little water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Crackle cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- Add onion paste. Roast for 5 minutes.
- Add dry spices. Mix well. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add soaked masoor dal and salt. Mix well. Add 2-3 cups water. Cook covered for about 15 minutes. Stir in between.
- Adjust consistency with water and taste with salt and red chilli powder.
- Garnish with butter and chopped cilantro leaves. Enjoy kolhapuri akkha masoor hot with crispy roti and cold curd.